Thursday, May 16, 2013

Closer or Further Away from God

Today in my Bible reading time, I started with the book of Revelation.  Symbolism and imagery mark the entirety of John's message due to severe persecution of Christians under the Roman government.  There were a couple of significant Roman leaders whose torture and punishment were noted by contemporary historians - Nero, Domitian, and Diocletian.

Nero, through tradition, started the official state-sponsored persecution of Christians.  The historian, Tacitus, noted that after the fire of Rome in 64 AD, Nero blamed the Christians and started torturing and executing them.  Some early Christians even wondered if Nero was the "Antichrist".

The book of Revelation was written during the Domitian empire (89-96 AD).  Eusebius, a Biblical historian, noted that Domitian directed severe, excessive, and cruel punishments, banishment, and execution.  He did not follow the law, but acted outside the boundaries of even current society.

During the years, 303-11, Diocletian sponsored the largest and bloodiest persecution of Christians throughout the Roman empire.  Despite his efforts to squelch Christianity, the church grew in numbers and strength.

When I read the story of Revelation, I enjoy the comfort of knowing God is in control.  I take great solace in knowing that right and justice will triumph over evil.  I imagine a reunion with family and friends.

What I don't like thinking about was the context - persecution, trouble, and hardship.  The Roman emperors did not like what was happening in their kingdom and attempted to stop God's plans.

As I ponder my role as a leader, am I pushing people toward the Savior or toward their sin?  Do my actions highlight my kingdom or His reign?  Am I making it easier or harder to follow Him?

I hope that as we live our lives today, others will find our example as a light post toward Heaven, forgiveness, and eternity.

Thank you for reading.  Share your comments and thoughts.

Boyd

No comments: