Friday, April 3, 2015

Upcoming Release introduction

Excerpt from upcoming release...

"Things I Learned Over There That Matter Over Here"

Introduction

            I serve as an International Mission Board missionary.  I have lived overseas for eighteen years of my life.  Two of my four children were born in foreign countries, Hungary and Romania.  I have been back to the US for vacations and deputation multiple times.  

Each time I return to America, I feel more detached.  When O.J. Simpson’s trial was taking place, I was on the backside of a Romanian mountainside.  When the 9-11 tragedy took place, I was in a Hungarian shopping mall looking at couches.  When Hurricanes Rita and Katrina devastated the Southern coastlines, I was in the plains of Czech Republic.

The experience parallels my comfort level in churches.  I’ve struggled with idea of choir robes and chandeliers versus giving to missions.  I’ve wondered about the great masses of people who attend on Sundays, but don’t read their Bibles on Monday. I’ve been humbled by the multitudes who give up vacation, bonuses, and free time to work with missionaries and share their story. 

But, my greatest challenge has been the perception that what happens over there, has little relevance to life anywhere else. 

“That’s very nice what you are doing.  I could never do that.  I’m glad people over there are following God.  I remember when things were like that here.  Have a good trip.”  Then they shuffle off to their cars. 

Until one young man in a class asked me, “What have you learned over there that would make a difference for our churches?”  After I picked up my jaw, I thought a little about his question.  “You’re right, if the principles are true, they are true everywhere and not just over there.”  I smiled and said some answers off the cuff.


When the class was over, I was still thinking.  “What translates?”  Beyond language, are there any universals missions and missionaries have to teach all of us?  This work is the result of that internal discussion.  There is much that missionaries and national church planters have to teach us.  

Look for the upcoming release with Borderstone Press...  





No comments: