Friday, September 17, 2010

For my Good - It's all about you

Even in Deuteronomy 5:9-10, God reminded his people,

“You shall not bow down to them (idols) or worship them, for I the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sins of their fathers to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.”

The law is a reminder of the unique relationship God has with His creation. We are His creation. The intent of laws, regulations, and limits was not to prevent personal enjoyment, but to enhance it. The law provides the clear demarcation beyond which safe and prudent action will not occur. God reminded us through Moses, like the speed limit sign reminds us on the highway, excessive and reckless disregard for limitations is not freeing, but restricting.

God told Moses He would punish the sins of fathers and sons to the third and fourth generation. At first glance, it appears strong, caustic, and unmerciful. Yet, we forget the reminder His love reaches to a THOUSAND GENERATIONS for those who love Him. The law is meant to preserve our life, heritage, and legacy, long beyond our great-great-grand-children. It is meant to extend into the next millennium. The difference between self-serving, self-interest, and ego-tripping pharisaism, is that the laws which God prescribed were given in the context of covenant. Since God has given me the prescriptions for a well-lived life, it is in my best interest to seek Him, to know Him, and to follow Him completely. Christian obedience is not about what will advance my self-interests, but about maintaining my all-important relationship with God. It is all about you. It is all about me.

No comments: