Thursday, September 16, 2010

For My Good - Law and Commandments Part 1


Law and Commandments - Part 1

In every state, there exists a speed limit law. The law is designed to insure optimal traffic patterns, reduce risk, and maintain quality road conditions. The limit varies from place to place. Speed limits can vary from 65mph on urban interstates like California to 80mph in rural West Texas interstates during the daytime. Breaking the law by speeding is defined as traveling over the posted speeds or traveling too fast for which road conditions would deem appropriate. Now, however, there are exceptions to the speeding limit. Medical emergencies, or if the driving was considered reasonable and prudent, can be dismissed under ‘prima facie’.

Growing up in a crowded congested stretch of US-75 Central Expressway traffic near Dallas, I never imagined anyone getting a ticket in rush hour. Forward progress would have been a good thing in those times. But weekends, evenings, and late hours, provided plenty of temptation to travel a little quicker.

I can also still remember traveling about 85 miles per hour in Louisiana with the hazard lights flashing. No, I was not being chased. No, I was not getting away. It was only moments after my pregnant wife told me that her water had broken and it was time to get to the hospital. I almost felt like a racecar driver. I broke the posted speed limit because another situation demanded more prudent and immediate attention.

When Moses completed his task of rescuing the Hebrews from Egypt to the Wilderness, he found himself with a daunting task, grumbling associates, and mounting stress. His father-in-law, Jethro, wisely suggested delegation as a means to get a handle on a looming population crisis. He placed some initial guidelines in order for the people to be more efficiently served and to relieve Moses from so much stress.

As Moses received the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai and later, the subsequent ceremonial and civic laws, Israel was entering into a time of covenant with God. This initial set of laws can be divided into three sub-sets. Moral laws included those that were based on the unchanging character of God and are therefore eternally binding. Civil laws, which may illustrate moral law, were limited historically to the theocracy of Israel and are not binding on the church. Ceremonial laws were intended to prefigure Christ and ceased to be applicable upon Christ’s first advent.[1]


For reflection:

1) What one law in my area seems pointless and ridiculous?

2) In what areas am I pushing to the edges of morality, finances, and ethics?

3) What is one thing my parents tried to teach me which I inevitably learned too late in hindsight?

Thanks for listening.


No comments: