Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Busyness and Being

Busyness and Being

Psalm 46:10 - "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Psalm 39:4-6 - "Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life.  You have made my days a mere hand breadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you.  Each man's life is but a breath.  Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro; He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it."

In our efforts to produce more, we sometimes neglect the source of our strength.  The schedules and pressures of today squeeze out our thoughts of tomorrow.  The demands of yesterday's deadlines push us to omit the things which last forever.  We ignore our limitations and disregard our own fears.  

David said there were two dangers - busyness and short-sightedness.  When we lose sight of the eternal timeline of our lives, we begin to measure our lives in visible markers.  David chose wealth as one illustration many people use for measuring their success.  Bigger salary, bigger bank accounts, bigger church budgets, bigger contributions, just plain bigger.  But, David said, the mere accumulation of more was not enough.  Without wisdom, discretion, and planning, more money may not resolve the issues.  

David also said busyness can replace effectiveness in ministry.  'Look busy, stay busy, just do something'.  All sound laudable, but David said they produce nothing of lasting value - 'in vain'.  How many of us have done so much to accomplish so little?  When our eyes drift off of eternal matters and divine directives, we move to busyness to salve our souls.

But, David knew the answer.  And, I think you do too.  "Be still."  Take time to move from this day to your life.  Take time to move from your world to His kingdom.  Take time to move from activity to effectiveness.  

Living in Eastern Europe, I enjoy visiting elaborate church structures.  The stained glass, the iron work, the intricate patterns are breathtaking.  Some friends of mine miss their beauty and aesthetic value  because of faults of their leaders.  Each time I enter those massive buildings, my gaze is always directed upward.  The images, the organs, and the lofty ceilings draw my attention to the top.  In a hurry, I could easily miss that view.

Life is sometimes like those church tours.  'See the painting, see the altar, see the ----, just keep moving.'  We become so wrapped in our agenda, we forget the reason for our service.

So what?

1)  Take time this week to revel in the greatness of God and His kindness and mercy for choosing you to inherit His kingdom.

2)  Take time to evaluate your activity in light of eternity.  Keep doing the things which are making a difference toward eternity.  Stop doing those things which are merely activity.  Make the most of each day.

Thanks for listening,

Boyd Hatchel  

1 comment:

Rob said...

A good/timely word for me to hear, frate.