Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Reason I was Born

John 18:37  In fact, for this reason, I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth.

He was deserted by his followers.  He was attacked by his enemies.  He was rejected by the religious leaders who were looking for him.  He was following a course of action that was not his first choice.  He was tired.  He was embarrassed.

But, He didn’t retaliate.  He didn’t curse or blaspheme the desire of His father.  He listened to the rebukes and kept silent.  He was calm, respectful, and gentle.The storm came into Jesus’ life and the chaos revealed his true identity.  He knew the moment for his life.  His purpose on the earth was coming in bright light.

I’ve wondered at times about my purpose, my contribution, and my ‘after it’s over worth’ bottom line.  Apart from the Master, there is only a fleeting feeling of worth and importance.  Apart from bringing attention to the Master, my best efforts are only selfish and short-sighted.  Apart from interacting with others about eternal matters, crisis will implode our goals and reveal our weaknesses.

‘To testify, to bear witness’ means to give credit to God for the good, to direct other’s attention to eternal matters, and to focus upon divine and spiritual truth.  Testifying doesn’t always mean in public, on the platform, or ‘church talk’.  ‘Testifying’ is relaying true information about experiences, not only crimes or misdemeanors, but spiritual realities.  What you haven’t experienced, you cannot share with another.  What we have experienced should not stop with us.  Pass it along.

So what?

1)    Have you / have I experienced a life-changing reality with God which is shaping each day of my life?
2)  Am I sharing that experience with others which will shape our eternity?
3)  Does this passion evolve or remain static throughout our lives?

Thank you for listening.

Blessings from Brno,

Boyd Hatchel

No comments: