Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Path is the Person

The Path is the Person

Psalm 25:4-5  "Show me your ways Oh, Lord, and teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

John 14:5-6 "Thomas said to him, 'Lord we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?'  Jesus answered, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

Many times in missions people get so hung up on the local they are supposed to serve.  Their focus becomes consumed upon picking between Afghanistan and Algeria.  Their crossroads seems between two teams, languages, and cultures.  

Thomas had the same concern.  "Where is this going?  And better yet, where am I going?"  He thought if he knew the destination, he might be in a better position.

But, the Savior surprised him.  "I am the destination."  Not New York or Newfoundland, but ME.  The ultimate destination is the journey we are making to know Christ.  The person is of primary importance, the place is incidental.  

David knew the journey was not about a place, but a person.  Knowing Christ is the great reward.  Knowing Him is the reason for making the journey.  

So what?

1)  How are you deepening your love for the Master this week?

2)   Take a moment to rest from your decisions at the crossroads - focus on the cross and the King, not Nigeria or next door. 

3)  Enjoy the freedom Christ offers to allow you to love Him with all your being and then to do whatever He prompts.

Thanks for listening,


Boyd Hatchel

On a sad note: my Alma mater, UNT 'Mean Green Eagles' were de-clawed by LSU Tigers in Louisiana on Saturday.  It wasn't a shut-out, but too close.


No comments: